Have you ever wondered what AMC used for crystal meth in Breaking Bad? Walt's famous blue crystal meth is rock candy, not drugs! Here is a recipe to make your own blue crystal candy, perfect for a Breaking Bad party or snacks while watching the show. Of course, you can make the candy any color, flavor it, or even make it glow under a black light.
Blue Crystal Ingredients
You only need a few common cooking ingredients for this project:
- 3-3/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- blue food coloring (or whatever color you like)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon flavoring, such as vanilla, lemon, or cherry flavoring
What To Do
If you have a candy thermometer, be sure to use it. Otherwise, watch carefully for any darkening or browning of the sugar, which indicates you're getting the mixture too hot.
- Grease a cookie sheet. You can use butter, shortening, or non-stick spray.
- Stir the sugar, corn syrup, and water together in a pan over medium heat.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and continue boiling for 3 minutes.
- Stir in food coloring and flavoring, if desired.
- This is the part where the candy thermometer comes in handy. Increase the temperature to 300 F. The goal is to melt the sugar and harden the candy, but not carmelize (brown) it. Once the mixture reaches the temperature, remove the pan from heat.
- Pour the hot mixture onto the greased cookie sheet. Be very careful! The candy is extremely hot and sticky at this point.
- Allow the crystals to cool completely. Use a mallet or hammer to break the crystals into pieces.
- Store your blue crystals in an airtight container, since humidity will make them sticky. To keep the crystals from sticking to each other, you can spritz them with nonstick cooking spray or dust them with powdered sugar.
Glowing Blue Crystals
If you want blue crystals that glow blue under a black light, replace the water in the recipe with tonic water. The quinine that produces the blue glow has a distinctive flavor, which you may like or may wish to mask with another flavoring.