Weber is an occupational surname given to one skilled in the ancient craft of weaving, from the Middle High German word wëber, a derivative of weben, meaning "to weave." The Weber surname is sometimes Anglicized as Webber or Weaver.
Weber is the 6th most common German surname. It is also frequently found as a Czech, Hungarian, Polish or Slovenian surname. WEBB and WEAVER are English variants of the name.
Surname Origin: German
Alternate Surname Spellings: WEEBER, WEBBER, WEBERE, WEBERER, WAEBER, WEYBER, WEBERN, VON WEBER, VON WEBBER
Famous People With the WEBER Surname
- Max Weber - 19th-century German sociologist and one of the founders of modern sociology
- Carl Maria von Webber - German composer, conductor, pianist and guitarist
- Constanze Weber - wife of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Alfred Weber - German economist, geographer, and sociologist
- John Henry Weber - American fur trader and explorer
- Joseph Weber - American physicist
- Ludwig Weber - German Protestant pastor and social reformer
Where Is the WEBER Surname Most Common?
According to surname distribution from Forebears, WEBER is the 3rd most common surname in Germany. It is also very common in Switzerland, where it ranks 7th, and Austria, where it is the 19th most prevalent last name. While Weber is common throughout Germany, WorldNames PublicProfiler indicates it is most frequent in southwestern Germany, in the regions of Rheinland-Pfalz, Saarland, and Hessen. Weber is also a very common surname in Gussing, Austria.
Genealogy Resources for the Surname WEBER
Weber Family Crest - It's Not What You Think
Contrary to what you may hear, there is no such thing as a Weber family crest or coat of arms for the Weber surname. Coats of arms are granted to individuals, not families, and may rightfully be used only by the uninterrupted male-line descendants of the person to whom the coat of arms was originally granted.
Weber Y-Chromosome DNA Surname Project
WEBERs from all over the world are participating in this group DNA project in an attempt to learn more about Weber family origins. The website includes information on the project, the research done to date, and instructions on how to participate.
WEBER Family Genealogy Forum
Free message board is focused on descendants of Weber ancestors around the world.
FamilySearch - WEBER Genealogy
Explore over 5 million results from digitized historical records and lineage-linked family trees related to the Weber surname on this free website hosted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
WEBER Surname Mailing List
Free mailing list for researchers of the Weber surname and its variations includes subscription details and a searchable archives of past messages.
DistantCousin.com - WEBER Genealogy & Family History
Explore free databases and genealogy links for the last name Weber.
GeneaNet - Weber Records
GeneaNet includes archival records, family trees, and other resources for individuals with the Weber surname, with a concentration on records and families from France and other European countries.
The Weber Genealogy and Family Tree Page
Browse genealogy records and links to genealogical and historical records for individuals with the Weber surname from the website of Genealogy Today.
References: Surname Meanings & Origins
- Cottle, Basil. Penguin Dictionary of Surnames. Baltimore, MD: Penguin Books, 1967.
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Collins Celtic (Pocket edition), 1998.
- Fucilla, Joseph. Our Italian Surnames. Genealogical Publishing Company, 2003.
- Hanks, Patrick, and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford University Press, 1989.
- Hanks, Patrick. Dictionary of American Family Names. Oxford University Press, 2003.
- Reaney, P.H. A Dictionary of English Surnames. Oxford University Press, 1997.
- Smith, Elsdon C. American Surnames. Genealogical Publishing Company, 1997.